Friday, June 6, 2008

257

I went to the rock wall again today. I pushed myself really hard, and now my arms hurt. Funny how that works.

Today was interesting. I don't get stressed out pretty much ever, so it was weird to get through half the day with a crazy constricted feeling around my eyes and an aching head. I did start a paper though, which alleviated a bit of the stress, and I went and found people to hang out with, which also helped a lot. Climbing was fun too and helped me regain part of my sanity.

I've made the decision to not drink coffee until after finals week. I had it three days in a row and I feel myself needing it. Stupid addiction. I will not be mastered by anything.

I was reading in 1st Corinthians today, and I got to chapter 7, and read it like eight times. When I got to the part about married people not having self control and how it's better to remain single, I got really confused. I had read it before, but I never really grasped the implications. Paul seems to seriously be telling people not to get married. I know that men and women were created to be together, a metaphor and symbol of the union between Christ and his church. One needs the other in order for humanity to survive. That's just how it works.

Any insight on this?

Tomorrow is Friday. Which means that a week from then, I will be packing up and moving back to Vancouver for the summer. I think that's the real stressor. Leaving and saying goodbye to people that I have seen everyday for the last 9 months.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

As to the marriage question, Paul was answering the questions he was being faced with by the believers in Corinth, a really immoral place. Sexual immorality and religious prostitution were rampant. Given the culture, the believers had lots of questions about marriage and sexuality. Paul was telling people to stay put - not hop into different situations than they were currently in. He wanted the people to be content as they were, and let God direct them into new situations if that was God's intent. Remember, this society was really whacked out - even compared to the good ol' USA!

As to whether to marry or not, I understand that Paul is not ranking singleness over marriage. He does, however, wish that there were more people able to devote themselves to ministry without the added responsibility of family, like himself, just because that way you're fully devoted to that ministry. able to be single-minded. He's not dissing marriage by any means. He just says life as a minister (called as he was by God), was much easier lived without the responsibilities of wife and family.